I had a craving for chili the other day and after rummaging through my fridge, freezer and cupboards, I found that I had everything I thought I would need for a good crockpot turkey black bean chili.
I didn’t follow a recipe for this one, and my ingredients are approximate (if you’re someone who measures perfectly, you can relax on this one, haha!)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours on low in your crock pot
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
If you’re following the 21 Day Fix eating plan, each 1 1/2 cup serving contains:
- 1/2 green
- 1 red
- 1/2 Yellow
Shopping List / Ingredients
- 2 lbs ground turkey – I used 2 of the ground turkey packages from Costco
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 carrots – chopped
- 2 ribs of celery – chopped
- 1 red pepper – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can white kidney beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes – no sugar added
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- I used crazy HOT chili powder that I brought back from Bali. If your chili is super spicy, you may want to use less of it, WOWZA!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh cilantro (garnish) – chopped
- 1 glob of sour cream (optional) – added to each serving if desired
- Grated cheddar (optional) – added to each serving
How to Make Turkey Black Bean Chili
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add ground turkey. Cook until the meat is browned (4-5 minutes), making sure to crumble the meat as it cooks.
- Drain excess fat and transfer to slow cooker.
- Discard the excess fat and add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet.
- Add vegetables to the skillet and cook until the onions are soft (about 3 minutes). This process helps release the flavours from the veggies before adding them to the slow cooker. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, black beans, white kidney beans, and tomato paste to slow cooker.
- Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- To serve, add a glob of sour cream, some shredded cheddar, and chopped cilantro to each bowl.
Please post your questions or comments below.