Let’s face it, water is tasteless and can sometimes be a boring choice when choosing a beverage, but it’s a necessity of life for all of us. I’m going to bet that most of us (me included) could be drinking more water in our daily lives, and with so many other options, it’s tough to choose water over something more flavourful.
Our bodies are composed of 60% water, which means that when we are dehydrated, our entire bodies are affected. So let’s talk a bit about WHY it’s important to be drinking more water everyday.
11 Benefits of Drinking More Water
- Drinking more water helps you maintain healthy skin.
Drinking enough water helps flush out the toxins that clog your pores, reducing skin inflammation and the chance of developing pimples.
- Drinking more water promotes healthy digestion.
We need water for our digestion system to function properly. Waste and toxins get flushed out through our sweat and urine, if we don’t drink enough water, there is nowhere for the toxins to go and they collect in our bodies.
- Drinking more water improves your mood.
Have you ever noticed that when you’re dehydrated that you are a bit grumpy or moody? Drink more water and you’ll be much more pleasant to yourself and to others.
- Drinking more water boosts your immune system.
People who drink a lot of water are less likely to get sick. Water helps fend off the flu, cancer and other health problems like heart attacks.
- Drinking more water hydrates us after workouts/exercise.
Hydration during exercise is so important to avoid cramping and other injuries. I make sure I’m adequately hydrated before diving into my workouts, I drink a bit during and a whole lot afterwards to replenish my body. Make sure you do the same!
- Drinking more water pumps up your metabolism & promotes weight loss.
Staying properly hydrated boosts your body’s ability to burn fats. Studies have shown that drinking more water can increase the metabolic rates of healthy men and women by up to 30%.
- Drinking more water decreases the chance of headaches.
Drinking more water is an easy and natural way to avoid or get rid of headaches. Our brains are made mostly of water, so a common symptom of dehydration is headaches and migraines. Drink your agua to avoid that annoying head pain!
- Drinking more water boosts productivity.
Drinking enough H2O helps you focus, concentrate and helps you stay fresh and alert. Have you noticed that you feel tired when you’re dehydrated?
- Drinking more water helps keep you satisfied.
If you feel hungry or a craving, reach for a glass of water and chug it down! If you feel full, you will be less likely to reach for that easy snack, treat or junk food.
- Drinking more water saves you MONEY!
Unless you want some fancy bottled spring water or something with bubbles, in most cases, water is FREE! Save a few bucks by choosing water over that Starbucks fix, sugary beverage or wobbly pop.
- And… well… if you don’t drink water, you’ll die. It’s true!
We can only live a few days without water and can live far longer without food. The vast majority of people should be prioritizing water consumption a lot more than we currently do.
How much water should we be drinking?
So how much do we need to drink per day? Well, the answer to this question is different for everyone. The classic “8 glasses of water per day” rule is a good rule of thumb if you’re already struggling to get enough H2O into your body everyday, but everybody’s daily water requirement is different. A 140lb woman is not going to need as much water as a 225lb man – that makes sense, right?
The way Beachbody calculates the amount of water we need to drink is to take your weight and divide it by 2; that’s how many ounces of water you should drink each day.
So for example, if you are that 140lb woman I mentioned above, you take 140 /2 = 70. So you should drink minimum 70 ounces (8.75 cups) of water everyday.
If you are that 225lb man I was talking about, you would take 225 / 2 = 112.5. So you would need to drink at least 113 ounces (14 cups) of water everyday to properly hydrate your body. (There are 8 ounces in a cup.)
10 Tips to Drinking More Water
So now why water is so important and how much water we should be drinking each day, let’s talk a bit about how to make sure we are drinking enough water.
- Make it a morning habit to drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning. I keep a glass of water beside the bed and I down it before my toes even touch the floor.
- Buy a SodaStream and make your own carbonated water – this is the BEST thing I have ever done! I LOVE my SodaStream and drink 2 litres of water from it everyday.
Add fresh fruit or herbs to your water to give it some flavour and colour. I add these right to my SodaStream bottle to make it easy.
Suggestions: Lemon / Lime, Strawberries, Cucumber, Watermelon, Basil, Ginger, Mint, etc.
- Always keep a glass of water on your desk at work and take a gulp every time you look at it.
- Drink a cup of water every time you get back from the bathroom.
- Buy yourself a cool new water bottle and take it with you every time you get in the car and finish it before you reach your destination.
- Eat your water! Eat water-rich foods like watermelon and cucumbers.
- Create a challenge and compete with a friend or co-worker: Who can drink the most water today?
- Use a water tracking app with reminders. Try the Daily Water Free – Water Reminder and Counter app.
- No one expects you to completely give up your other beverages, but make a commitment to drink a glass of water for every other bevy you drink (make it 2 glasses for every boozy drink).
I’ve always known that water was vital to a healthy lifestyle, but since starting my Beachbody journey, it has become more top of mind and I’ve found that I have been making more of an effort to get more H2o into my body. To learn more about Beachbody or start your own health journey, get in touch for more information.
What are some of your favourite strategie to drinking more water? Leave a comment below.
And in the meantime, DRINK UP! 🙂